The sense of balance of the body is obtained due to the vestibular system, which is controlled by muscle sensitivity, bone, brain stem and sense of sight. When an alteration of any of these points can result in the appearance of vertigo. In order for you to learn about the main symptoms, we will now reveal what may be the cause of the onset of vertigo.
It is important to know that there are two types of vertigo. On the one hand, the peripheral, which is the one that arises when there is a problem in the inner ear, which is responsible for controlling the balance. The problem is mainly in the vestibular labyrinth or in the semicircular canals.
The other type of vertigo is central, which is when it occurs because of a setback in the brain, mainly in the brainstem or cerebellum. Depending on the type of vertigo you have, the causes may be one or the other.
Causes of Peripheral Vertigo
- Some kind of injury to the skull area.
- Taking certain drugs such as diuretics, antibiotics or cisplatin.
- An inflammation of the vestibular nerve.
- Due to excessive pressure on the vestibular nerve, which may be the result of a non-cancerous tumour.
Causes of central vertigo
- Taking certain medications with acetylsalicylic acid or anticonvulsants.
- Having had a vascular disease.
- Having a migraine.
- Having multiple sclerosis.
- Having suffered an epileptic seizure.
- Having tumors, whether cancerous or not.
- Having had a stroke.
Now that you know the causes of vertigo there is the possibility of preventing it thanks to changes in habits. To do this you need to lead a healthy lifestyle, where you pay more attention to your diet and exercise, in addition to going regularly to the doctor’s office. These are some good practices that will help you avoid attacks of vertigo. Remember the importance of taking care of your health.
It is important that when you suffer from vertigo you avoid movements that are too fast or too abrupt. In this way the only thing you will achieve is to intensify the sensation of dizziness and you will feel much worse. Faced with this type of situation, medical professionals recommend rest, tranquillity and little effort. We will also avoid bad habits such as smoking, alcohol and foods with sugar and many fats.